Sunday, January 13, 2013

Baked Sunday Mornings- Banana Foster Fritters

 
I am not a fan of frying. I AM (unfortunately) a fan of  eating the fried foods. But for the sake of eating, I will overcome my aversion to the actual "means" to "justify the end"! However, I pick and choose my frying missions very carefully. For instance , you will never find me frying chicken or french fries at home. Just too much mess and work. Rather eat it out!
Now doughnuts are another story altogether.They are sooooo much better homemade, and you get them hot and fresh out of the pan. Nothing like it, believe me!
I was doubtful of this weeks task for "Baked Sunday Mornings". I've never  had banana fritters (or any other kind of fritters for that matter) and  the idea of filling my house up with frying smell was not at the top of my list. As it happens, my husband came home one day last week with a very large bunch of bananas- I swear they had just been cut off the tree. A gift from a friend who lives on a moshav not far from us. Okay, now you can see from the picture that they were no where near ripened- I had to find a way to ripen them quickly in time to write this post. I found all kinds of advice, from paper bags with an apple inside, to putting them in the freezer. I didn't want to freeze them, so I tried the apple deal, without the paper bag ( didn't have one).
 
Fast forward... it is now Sunday morning here in Israel, so I still have time until this afternoon to post. I just finished making the rum dipping sauce... OMG! That in itself is enough. It absolutely goes on the list for things to have in the fridge for pancakes, over ice cream, mixed in with plain yogurt.... spread on toast???!! Whatever, it's just GOOD!
Now I will attempt to find the ripest 3 bananas in the group and see if I can mash them enough to make the batter. BRB....
Found two ripe bananas, mashed them up  and mixed them with the dry ingredients. The batter was a bit dry with only the two bananas , so I searched my cupboards for ideas and found a snack size container of no sugar added applesauce. Perfect! Did the trick. I scooped the fritters with a 2 tsp. cookie scoop and got 20 little fritters from the recipe.
Done! Not as bad as I anticipated. At all! As a matter of fact, the whole process was quite easy. I think you could make everything ahead of time, refrigerate the batter and just toss them in the oil when you are ready to serve. Only takes a few minutes and its a wonderful change for a dessert.





As I said, the dipping sauce is delicious and the fritters came out yummy in my opinion. I think it's a treat that both kids and adults alike would enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful results! Wow! So jealous of your golden brown exterior! With everyone enjoying the sauce, I regret not making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look beautiful and yummy! Good thinking on the applesauce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha -- one of my pet peeves that the only bananas I can ever find in the supermarket are incredibly unripe... I always have to plan at least a week in advance if I want to bake something with banana, so that I have enough time for the bananas to ripen! Beautiful fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, perfectly golden! I wouldn't have thought of adding applesauce - so smart.

    The sauce, the sauce. It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your last photo! And, I agree, this sauce would be great with so many things!

    Glad you had a positive experience with these - we did, too!

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Yael! So pretty! Love the applesauce idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous pics of your fritters! Good idea with the applesauce! I was lucky, I just happened to have 5 ripe bananas in the house. I enjoyed these fritters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fritters look perfect...And, yes, we also love apple fritters, so banana/apple sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pic of the fritters sitting a pool of sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was pleasantly surprised by these... they rival Filipino banana lumpia! And I agree with you on the sauce, it would go well with so many things. Lovely photos, your fritters fried up so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to sub the applesauce, Yael! Did it add any apple flavor? Your fritters are absolutely gorgeous-- perfect frying job. :) I know what you mean, I love to *eat* yummy fried stuff, but making it at home is a whole different thing. By the way, I think these would be a wonderful twist on sufganiyot for Chanukah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!