Sunday, June 15, 2014

Turtle Thumbprint Cookies



"Potchky" is a Yiddish word I heard as a kid. I don't know if this is the correct meaning, but in my house, it referred to something that required a lot of small steps and fussing around to make. These cookies were a lot of  "potchkying" but worth every little second.
I made them for one of the many desserts for my granddaughter's 4th birthday and they went over really big! More with adults than children( this is the cake i made for the kiddies), but well received with the young ones as well.
The "potchkying" steps were making the dough, chilling, rolling into balls, dipping in egg whites, rolling in chopped pecans (had to toast them too, so that's another step), making a thumbprint indentation, after 8 minutes in the oven, making the indentation again, baking another 4 minutes, removing from the oven and making the last thumbprint impression to hold the filling. More "potchkying"- make the caramel filling, fill the thumbprint and top with a whole, roasted (another step!) pecan on each.
It may sound like I'm complaining, but understand- I'm not. I love the whole process. It's just not the same as mixing a batter, pouring into a pan and shoving in the oven. These babies require a bit extra attention and TLC, but are exquisite when done. Worth every second of effort!
You can find the recipe here, at Baked Sunday Mornings! Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Great pics of your cookies!! Gorgeous! I feel like I could pick one up and eat it! :)
    These really were good cookies. Love your cake, it is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your castle cake! I made one for my niece's birthday last summer and it was one of my favourite things I made all year. You're so right about the fussiness of these cookies, so many steps, but so worth it. They're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those cookies look so good! Adorable cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weren't these just delicious? They are fussy, but so worth it.

    I cannot believe you're a grandmother! I'm sure your granddaughter felt so special!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!